Thursday, 26 August 2010

A New Beginning

After a long delay in blogging, I've decided to post again while we're travelling back to our new home on Overwater Marina, near Audlem in Cheshire.


I simply can't find the energy or interest to blog while we're moored in the marina. Unless something of note happens, it's not really worthwhile. So, while we're on the move, I'll blog away in the hope that some of you may see something you recognise from previous cruises.


I've neglected to include our travels up until Astley Green on the Leigh branch of the L&L canal, this is because it rained so hard, so we couldn't really pay attention to where we were.


Looking back to the Boat House pub from where we moored.





In the foreground is a 60' narrow boat that shared the locks with us through Wigan. The owner had bought (stole) this boat from Harral Brokerage in Northwich. The previous owner had wanted £67k, but as the boat had been stood on hardstanding for over three years with no interest shown, she accepted £40k from this guy. Deperate times indeed. It had a 48hp Isuzu engine which helped it cut through the water with ease.


In contrast, our little boat has a 22hp Vetus engine. Just how did we manage to get up the River Ribble against a 3 metre tide!



If ever you wondered where Dr Who likes to drink while not travelling in time, it's here in Astley Green. His Tardis can be seen in this garden opposite the Boat House pub.











Note how clean the canal water is here! You can actually see the base plate on our boat Pendle Mist.









From here we ventured on towards Manchester, after first screwing down all of the removable items on the boat. (sorry Tony but it's like bloody Beirut going through Partington)


A typical example of what moorers have to do to protect their boats from the local scroats.









Check out the owner's name of this shed company, Jack Lemmon. Amazing what Hollywood actors do in their spare time!

The last time we passed through here the Barton Aqueduct was temporarilly closed due to a technical problem. It was peeing down and I almost got mugged by three of the local mountain bike thugs. Just as well that I'm such a hard case (not).







No comments:

Post a Comment