It must be all of an hour since we last had a rest, here's a good mooring place.
Good grub, fine ale and plenty of swimming space for the lunatic lab.
We're convinced that he plays to a crowd. He seems to jump further from the bank when he knows that there's an audience.
For us, the picture below just about sums up what canal life is all about. The historic boats that are plentiful in these parts, remind us why the canals were built in the first place. Even though they're now used for more diverse reasons, it should never be forgotten that they once formed a vital primary transport pathway, that helped the country feed the needs of that era.
A view from the bridge beyond the pub, back to the boat and on our way again.
The canal journey along here always gives me the impression that we're climbing up hill! I really will have to stop drinking that Vino Collapso!
After passing through Nantwich and onwards, we finally reached our destination, Overwater Marina. We sincerely hope that we'll spend more than just a passing phase at this beautiful location. We were very happy with the proximity of Scarisbrick Marina, given its freedom of lock constraint and the fact that we like to cruise as often as time allows. But, no one should tolerate the type of behaviour that we encountered there.
Ironically, Overwater nestles close to the charming village of Audlem and just beyond is the awesome flight of locks. Although challenging in their approach, they're not anything as troublesome and time consuming as those on the Rufford branch of the L&L canal.
The last time we ate here was disappointing, thankfully now though, it's beginning to reclaim a good reputation for fine food and real ale.
They had a bank holiday beer festival here and I sampled some of the remnants. I'd asked the young barman for a pint of real ale bitter and whether through misunderstanding, or, his determination to empty a particular keg, he poured me what could only be described as a glass of rusty looking water (scrumpy cider). This, I was later to discover, was rocket fuel! At nearly 8% ABV it shivered my timbers good and proper. After the sixteenth pint I was fit for nothing! I would say that this fire water would easily second as a good source for removing the blacking from your hull. I couldn't wait until I'd finished it all off. Bring on the next bank holiday.
Check out the Lab begging for food!
Would you believe, his owner is sitting to the left of the picture, completely oblivious that his hungry dog is pestering this couple for scraps.
The two customers were bikers. A popular venue for the motorcyclists around here. They seemed well kitted out considering that they only owned a moped!
I sneaked a shot of it whilst he fed the dog.
We stumbled back to the marina along the towpath. It's a half hour walk from here for sober people, we got back the next morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment